Monday, February 8, 2010
"A Leaf in the Bitter Wind" by Ting-Xing Ye
This memoir follows the story of Xing Ye, a young woman growing up in Shanghai during the Cultural Revolution (1960's onward). I found this book to be a little "political" for me...a lot of important names to remember and a bit boring in that respect. I usually just skipped the boring bits and continued on with the story. The story itself is quite interesting, as Xing Ye is shipped to a prison camp, and then is granted the chance to study English and Beijing University. Her English training allows her to work as an interpreter for the Chinese Government, and she later immigrates to Canada. Anyway, the story is fairly amazing, what she goes through and the way the Chinese government controls the lives of the Chinese population. You just have to keep plugging along through the dull parts and hope you can enjoy the rest!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This books seems incredibly familiar to me - maybe I have read it already? I will get it and see!
Post a Comment