Thursday, November 24, 2011

"Mennonite in a Little Black Dress" by Rhoda Janzen

Rhoda's husband leaves her without warning for a man he met on Gay.com. The same week, she is in a car accident that leaves her with broken bones and a pee bag strapped to her leg. True story. 

Written with grace & humour, she talks about being brought up Mennonite, and her journey away from that particular lifestyle and brand of faith, and back again to the love of her family. I liked this one. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgot about this one! I really liked it too....

julie

Leah said...

Have had this on my library list for over a year now! I don't think they own it? I put in a request for them to buy it but so far, no luck. Will try for 2012!

Leah said...

Finally got this and read it! I'm sorry, but I did NOT enjoy. I read the whole thing but found it lacking. I am not sure if she was making fun of her Mennonite heritage or not...sometimes she seemed proud and other times scornful. Being someone who IS proud of being a Mennonite, I was kind of annoyed with her. I was expecting big things from this book but it disappointed. I did like reading familiar last names and German words/foods. That's about all.