Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Requiem" by Francis Itani

Requiem is the story of Bin, a Japanese-Canadian, as he travels across Canada, recalling his childhood. In the 1940's, Bin & his family were relocated from Vancouver Island to a Japanese camp in BC's Interior. They live in this camp for several years with other displaced Japanese-Canadians, waiting for the government to allow them to move back to their homes (which have been razed and destroyed), their jobs, their lives.

The novel goes back and forth between Bin's childhood, and present day as he drives across Canada trying to complete the pieces for his art exhibition. This is a story of family relationships, love, and restoration. I really liked it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just read that book as well, and thought it was a read good read. A bit slow to start perhaps, but well worth it.I had no idea that events such as that actually took place in our Canadian Histy. Shame on us!!!
Rosie

Leah said...

Mom was reading this when she was here! Will add it to the list!