This was recommended to my by a few people. I find Ann Patchett to be an incredible writer. She also wrote The Patron Saint of Liars and State of Wonder.
Bel Canto is about a Japanese business man, Mr. Hosokawa, and his translator, Gen, being held hostage along with other dignitaries, business big shots and a world-class opera singer, Roxanne Coss, after his birthday party in "a god-forsaken land" is invaded by revolutionaries. The hostages are held for days, weeks, months, and over that time new relationships form between those being held and those in charge.
Could not put it down - had to see what was going to happen!
1 comment:
After reading all other Ann Patchett books, I do believe I abandoned this one! I think perhaps I had too many options at the time. I need to sign it out and try it again I think.
Julie
Post a Comment