Friday, April 17, 2009

"The Young Wan" by Brendan O'Carroll

So, an interesting story about how I come into possession of this book. At Christmas, Mom went to the library basement, where they have books for sale. She picked out a book for each of us, something that we might be interested in. She didn't mean it for these books to be great, she was only looking for the challenge of being in the library basement and finding something that might be somewhat appropriate for each of us! Of course, my book was set in Ireland, and I have finally got around to reading it this past week, and thoroughly enjoyed it! Apparently it is part of a series, so I think I might actually try to locate some of these books, as I enjoyed the first one so much.

"The Young Wan" is set in Dublin, I think circa 1940's? Young girl, growing up with best friend, younger sister goes to prison, etc. It's actually quite a hilarious book, lots to laugh about and some sadness too. Truly enjoyable!

No comments: