Sunday, May 16, 2010

"The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath

I read this while we were in Europe - actually, had to buy it in a London book store because I finished the only book I brought with me!
This takes place in New York, and is the story of a young woman trying to find her way. She has won all the scholarships and prizes available for an academic and is sort of waiting around to get married and have children, but doesn't she want some adventure first? or to write a novel? or to live an alternate life than the one expected of her? All of these questions lead her into depression, and then electroshock therapy (it's the time this novel is set), and finally an asylum.
An interesting yet somber read. True to life I think.

2 comments:

Leah said...

you only brought one book?? this one sounds interesting.

Leah said...

i just finished this one today. a very interesting read - although not quite what i thought it would be. i don't know what i was expecting. to be honest, i'm glad it was as short as it was - don't know if i would have continued reading if it was much longer. but intriguing nonetheless.