From Amazon.ca:
Gowdy's heroine, Louise Kirk, falls hopelessly in love with her childhood playmate Abel Richter, after--and maybe because of--her mother's sudden decampment from the family when Louise is just nine. On the outskirts of Toronto in the early '60s, Louise and Abel roam a hidden ravine together, examining plants and animals and eventually each other with an odd mixture of lust and idealism. Abel, an adopted boy living with German immigrant parents, suffers the same outsider status Louise feels, and he should be the perfect companion for her, except for his singular notion that one's destiny in life can best be achieved in "complete isolation," which locks her out and drives her mad. He loves her, but in much the same way as he loves the stars and Bach and a wounded baby bat. When she finds herself pregnant, Louise behaves very badly and perhaps sets Abel on the self-destructive path that will end in his early death.
I can't remember why I liked it, but I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment