Friday, August 20, 2010

"Drowning Ruth" by Christina Schwarz

Amanda is a nurse in Wisconsin in 1919, and has an affair with a man whom she soon learns in married. Her shame leads her to have a nervous breakdown, and she returns to her family's farm, and to her sister Mathilda and her niece Ruth. Within a year of Amanda's return, Mathilda mysteriously drowns. When Carl, Mathilda's husband returns, he finds his young daughter Ruth in Amanda's tenacious grip. Carl tries to find out what happened that night that his wife drowned, but Amanda will tell him nothing.

A very interesting read with a few surprise discoveries.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Sounds like a gooder! I've been catching up on all your suggestions lately Leah...really have loved most of them - am just in the middle of "The Girl in the Green Sweater" and have a suggestion from Julie (So much for that) and also "Flight of the dragonfly" packed for our camping trip this weekend. And on that note...must go pack the cooler. Also, what was I thinking when I agreed to go camping????
Love!