Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese

This took me about a week to finish, which is quite long for me! It's an epic tale, first starting with Sister Mary Joseph Praise, a nun/nurse from India who is traveling to Africa on her first "mission". On the ship voyage to Africa, she meets Englishman Thomas Stone, a surgeon. She accompanies him to Ethiopia, and for 7 years, works alongside him as his first assistant during surgeries at Missing Hospital. Low and behold, Sister Mary gets knocked up by Thomas. She dies in childbirth, and the twin sons she gives birth to are left to be raised by fellow surgeons Hema and Ghosh (both from India). Thomas Stone flees Africa, as he is devastated by Sister Mary's death. The twin boys, Shiva and Marion grow up in a loving household, and both are destined to become doctors. The novel follows the boys, through the eyes of Marion, as they grow up in Ethiopia. There are quite a few political parts to this book, which I found boring and confusing, so I just skimmed. Also, a lot of medical jargon, but again, I just skimmed when I found it too overwhelming. Overall, I really enjoy the plot of this novel and was sad when it ended. A good read!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Erica, did you start/finish this one yet? What did you think?

Erica said...

Finally read this! Loved it, once I actually got into it. Also sad to have finished!