Monday, April 4, 2011

"The Sudden Weight of Snow" by Laisha Rosnau

A very enjoyable coming-of-age type book! Set in the '60's.

From Amazon.com:

In this novel set in the BC interior town of Sawmill Creek, 17-year-old Harper is experiencing the pains and thrills of her first leap into the adult world. The coming-of-age story pans back and forth between Harper's eventful experiences and the difficult childhood of her new boyfriend, Gabe, who grew up in California and on a hippie "art farm" near Sawmill Creek, where he has returned. Harper is drawn to the farm, away from the house she shares with her little brother and her long-suffering mother, Vera, and she joins Gabe there, much to the chagrin, if not horror, of her mother's fellow churchgoers, especially the insidious Pastor John. Pressures from all sides add to Harper's well-drawn confusion.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I tried this one but put it down. It was too back-and-forth without enough explanation. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I was impatient and gave up.