Monday, May 2, 2011

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

This is the first book of a 3 book series. AND I LOVED IT!! Katniss is a 16 year old living in a post-apocalyptic world, living in Panem (once North America). Once a year, the Hunger Games are held, when 2 "tributes" from each of the 12 Districts are chosen to fight to the death in a televised "reality" show. The last one standing receives a life of wealth and prosperity. One year, Katniss' little sister is chosen as the District 12 tribute, and Katniss steps up to take her place. Along with Katniss, the male tribute is a classmate of Katniss', Peeta. Katniss and Peeta must fight and kill the 22 other tributes to escape the Hunger Games arena.

I really loved this book - couldn't put it down. Can't wait to get book 2! And 3!

3 comments:

Erica said...

well, don't get too excited! Book 2 is (as usual) not as good as book 1, and I didn't even bother with book 3. Dan read them all though, and liked them all!

Anonymous said...

Abbey is currently reading this series. Not my genre. I am slowly making my way through "The Lake of Dreams" by Kim Edwards, author of The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Don't bother putting a hold on that one. I am just going to finish it because I've come this far! I thought it would be better, as I remember really liking her other one a few years back. Very excited to see in this month's Chatelaine that Miriam Toews has a new book out - Irma Voth, I think it's called. LOVED A Complicated Kindness, The Flying Troutman's, and the story of her dad's battle with bipolar disorder - Swing Low. Hope I won't have to wait to long at the lib for this one...

julie

Leah said...

I have finished books 2 and 3 of The Hunger Games series. Erica, you are right - not as good as book 1, but I still really liked them and am putting them on my Christmas list! They are making the first book into a movie, released March 2012. Should be good. Or not.