Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"The Rehearsal" by Eleanor Catton

This was a bit of a weird one, but I liked it. Masterfully written, which for me, means sometimes I have to read parts again and again to get them!

From another review: 


Girls at Abbey Grange high school are grappling with authenticity, especially now that Victoria has been discovered having an affair with jazz tutor Mr Saladin.
Whilst the local drama students improvise around the scandal for their all-important end-of-year show, the curious schoolgirls and their horrified parents must confront the concepts of burgeoning sexual maturity and fame by association. Catton, barely out of her teens herself, captures the self-conscious agony of adolescence beautifully.

The most compelling character is an emotionally manipulative saxophone teacher. Her waspish awareness of the human capacity for self-delusion provides the novel’s darkest undercurrent as she attempts to orchestrate the love lives of two of her pupils to repair her own thwarted lesbian impulses. As she says, the school years are merely a 'rehearsal for everything that comes after’.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I could only read about 10 pages of this before I put it down...too wordy for me! Maybe wasn't in the right mood because I think I could enjoy it.