Monday, May 14, 2012

"The Painted House" by John Grisham

This isn't a law thriller!
Luke Chandler is a 7 year old living in small town Arkansas with his parents & grandparents. This is the story of his long hot summer picking cotton, riding to town in the back of the truck, meeting (and butting heads with) hill people & Mexicans who've come to work on the Chandler farm, dreaming of become a major league baseball player, and hoping his uncle comes home from the Korean War.
Luke's world of church, the Saturday matinee and chores deviate from the norm that summer. Soon secrets, mysteries and two dangerous men living on his farm consume his thoughts, which is quite a burden for a 7 year old kid.
This novel had really rich characters and some great twists. I really enjoyed it!

1 comment:

Leah said...

LOVED THIS BOOK!! I could not put it down, best thing I've read in a long time. Great recommendation!