Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

This story starts with Victoria "aging-out" of the foster care system in San Francisco, California. She turned 18, and she is on her own. The three months she's been given rent free at a halfway house quickly run out, and soon she find herself homeless and jobless, sleeping in park. 

The novel goes back & forth between Victoria's childhood when she learned about the language of flowers, and present day when she works for a florist and is trying to make something with her life. 

Really well written, and there are some (minor) twists, which I always love! (Although you could kind of see one of them coming!)

1 comment:

Leah said...

OK. I ABSOLUTELY loved this book. I did not see ANY of the twists coming, but loved them all. Although when she left her daughter to get formula/sleep in the park I was having heart palpitations! I was so nervous and wanted her to get back home to her baby. I liked the ending and what she made of her life. Excellent, excellent. Could be going on my "favourites" list...we'll see.